Rev. Mrs. Jeannette J. Phillips Heritage Scholarship
The 2014 submission deadline has passed and the application process is now closed. Thank-you to all of our applicants!
To be eligible for the “Jeannette Phillips Heritage Scholarship” guidelines have been established to ensure that youth and adults who are in most need, will have an opportunity to be supported. Relatives of the Phillips Family or those serving on the Scholarship Advisory Council are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world.” -Nelson Mandela
The HRHCare Foundation and the Phillips Family are proud to announce the establishment of the Reverend Jeannette Phillips Heritage Scholarship. This is a living tribute in honor of Reverend Jeannette Phillips, one of the “founding mothers” of HRHCare. The Heritage Scholarship will provide annual awards to local high school students and eligible HRHCare employees either embarking on a health related career path or seeking to advance their studies in the health profession. During this inaugural launch, higher education scholarships will be awarded to youth residing in Peekskill and HRHCare employees. Our goal is to expand the Heritage Scholarship opportunity to youth living in the surrounding communities of all of our HRHCare Community Health Centers.
Youth applicants in 2014 must reside in Peekskill and meet the following criteria:
- GPA’S between 2.5 or greater.
- HS graduate enrolling in a university, college or vocational school (trade school) or current student enrolled in a college, university or advanced degree program.
- A continuing student under age 21, enrolled in a college, university or advanced degree program.
Adult applicants must be employees of Hudson River HealthCare and meet the following criteria:
- Part-time or full time status and employed for a minimum of 6 months.
- Enrolling in a undergraduate university, college or vocational school (trade school) or advanced degree program.
All individuals will complete an application and will be asked to provide the following:
- 2 letters of recommendation – Guidance Counselors, Civic Leaders, School Administrator or HRHCare Supervisor
- Documentation of registered courses
- Submit a copy of school transcript and proof of enrollment or acceptance to a college/vocational school in the Fall of 2014.
- Submit an essay on the theme “America’s Health Care Workforce: Keeping Communities Healthy.”
- Describe your academic/professional aspirations and dreams, how they will impact the health and wellbeing of your community.
- Limit your essay to 1 page in length, typed and double-spaced. Hand written essays will not be accepted.