Service at HRHCare
For over twenty years, HRHCare has hosted AmeriCorps Members who wish to serve their community by improving access to primary and preventive health services.
AmeriCorps Members at HRHCare are placed at one of our twenty-eight Federally Qualified Health Centers, where they provide direct service to residents and patients in these communities.
Members serve the health centers and surrounding communities of our organization, especially in areas of interest to the member and their educational and career aspirations. Members are involved in numerous community health initiatives, including, but not limited to, family medicine, women’s health, dental health, chronic disease management, health education, mental health services including substance abuse management, housing assistance programs, youth programs, and outreach and services for vulnerable populations including the homeless or at risk of homelessness, racial and ethnic minorities, persons living with HIV/AIDS, and migrant farm workers.
AmeriCorps Projects at HRHCare include:
Research Initiatives: AmeriCorps Members may enroll patients in select research initiatives, providing opportunities for patients to become involved in the development of the future of healthcare.
Health Education: AmeriCorps Members may serve independently or in tandem with staff educators to provide patients and community residents with information relating to a number of health topics, including diabetes and chronic disease self-management, the importance of cancer screenings, and more!
Increasing Access: AmeriCorps Members may support HRHCare’s mission of providing access to underserved communities by scheduling patient appointments or coordinating services or specialty care.
Community Outreach: AmeriCorps Members help to uplift communities by promoting activities that celebrate the uniqueness of every individual we serve, including through cultural events, fitness programs, and community-oriented activities.
When you join the HRHCare team by becoming an AmeriCorps member, you:
- Commit to serving 1700 hours of service in 9-12 months (up to 10% can be earned through approved coursework)
- Receive a living allowance of $12,630
- Earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $5,815 upon successful completion of service (to be used toward student loans or future education programs)
The HRHCare AmeriCorps Program provides:
- Health Insurance coverage for the duration of the service term
- Child Care, as eligible, for the duration of the service term
- Training and professional development opportunities covering a range of topics such as social determinants of health, disaster preparedness, CPR, and working with special populations
- Access to a network of HRHCare and AmeriCorps alumni and resources
AmeriCorps at HRHCare:
- Community Organization
- Public Health
- Public Speaking
- Youth Development
- Non-Profit Management